Baptism is a sign and seal of God’s covenant of grace with us and our children; it is a welcome into the family of God. It reminds us that God forgives our sins, adopts us as sons and daughters, and gives us the Holy Spirit. The journey of faith that begins in individual baptism continues in the church community.
A deeper dive into the theology behind baptism can be found in the introduction to the sacraments.
Baptism is a covenant of grace from God. In preparing for baptism or preparing to perform a baptism, it may be meaningful to review the following Scripture passages that record stories of God’s covenant.
- God’s covenant with Noah to never again destroy all living things with a flood: Genesis 6:18; Genesis 9:8-17
- God’s covenant with Abraham to give him a multitude of descendants: Genesis 15 and 17
- God’s covenant with Moses, declaring the Israelites as God’s chosen people: Exodus 19:5; Exodus 20; Exodus 21–23; Exodus 24
- God’s covenant with David, full of promises for David, his children, and all of Israel: 2 Samuel 7
- A new covenant in Christ, celebrated with the Lord’s Supper: Matthew 26:26–29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:14–20; I Corinthians 11:23–32
- Covenant reminder at Pentecost, reminding believers of the promises of baptism and the forgiveness of sins: Acts 2:37-39
Profession Of Faith
In the RCA, profession of faith happens when someone who has already been baptized, often at a young age, publicly professes their faith in Christ and joins the church. Upon public profession of faith, the individual becomes a confessing member of the church, rather than a baptized member, and is welcomed into full participatory privileges of the local congregation, such as voting and governance.
Peace Church Member Directory
Our church directory is available to view on your computer! Instant Church Directory - the program we use to build our church directory - has a member website.
Go to https://members.instantchurchdirectory.com/
You will be asked to enter your email address as it's listed in our directory. If your email address isn't listed in the directory, let the church office know so it can be added. Once you enter your email address, follow the directions on-screen to complete the create log-in process. After you sign in, you'll see the most up-to-date directory for our church. Any time updates are made, they will show on the Online Members' Website, too.
For more information about the members' website, go here